Beginning band meeting scheduled for 5th grade parents

[click here to print this information]

We will have a beginning band meeting for parents and students in the High School Cafeteria on Thursday, November 19 at 7:00PM (after parent-teacher conferences).  Please plan to attend this important informational meeting and have all of your questions answered:

• What are the benefits of learning to play and instrument?
  • What if I want to play a different instrument?
  • How do I get an instrument?
  • What do I need to look for when searching for an instrument to buy?
  • What other supplies do I need to get?
  • What can I do to get ready for band next semester?

Next semester, fifth grade students can choose to be in band or choir or both (if they are willing to give up one of their study hall periods). Anyone can do band — I have experience working with students in band who are also actively involved in football, basketball, drama, scholars bowl, gymnastics, boy scouts, church youth — you name it. Band (and music) can be an important ingredient in providing students with a well-rounded education.

We are currently in the process of testing students on instruments to find the best match for them. This is an important step in the process of joining band where we try each student out on their top two or three choices to see what instrument is the best fit. We take many factors into consideration in this process such as student interests, physical characteristics, and coordination (for percussionists). Our goal is to find the instrument that your student would be most successful on.

I am really looking forward to working with you in band.  Please email or call me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Scott Bley, Band Director

Patrick Henry MS/HS

sbley@phpatriots.org

419-274-4841 Office

Posted in 5th Grade Band