Multitrack recording with the Tascam DP-008EX

My goal for module 5 was to learn how to use the Tascam DP-008EX Digital Multitrack Recorder. I purchased the device for 75% off on Cyber Monday in 2014 and haven’t had a chance to learn how to use it yet. The device has two internal microphones and can record up to 8 separate tracks.

Tascam DP-00EX Digital Multitrack Recorder

Tascam DP-008EX Digital Multitrack Recorder

I started my learning process by messing around with the demo track that came preloaded on the device. I started by balancing the track levels to match my preference. I then panned each track to a different spot on the stereo spectrum. The mixing process was easy to do.

I then watched the tutorials available on the manufacturer website to gain more expertise. Finally, I sat down and recorded a 4-part brass quartet. I started by laying down the tuba tracks. I set the mic levels and then recorded each tuba part on 2 tracks so that I could pan each part in two areas. Then set the mic levels for the trombone and recorded each trombone part on two separate tracks. That filled up all 8 tracks.

I balanced the track levels and panned the tracks to give it the feel of a double brass quartet. I bounced the tracks and mixed them down without any problem. When it came to mastering the tracks, I ran into some difficulty and dug out the user manual. I mastered the track, exported in to my computer, and uploaded it. Check it out!

You can view my updated skills checklist here.

Posted in Music Technology
One comment on “Multitrack recording with the Tascam DP-008EX
  1. Savilla says:

So glad to see you exploring tools that you can put into use (and that you got such good deals on!).